SensDesk IoT Portal – A unified monitoring center for HW group devices and sensors
Create custom views and graphs, arrange devices into groups and view your sensor data in custom graphs. These are the basic SensDesk features. The new portal adds many functions for the administration of large-scale monitoring applications and sensor networks. At the same time, it unifies the communication with and control of all HW group devices, including the communication among them. SensDesk can be also connected to monitoring applications.
SensDesk IoT Portal – A unified monitoring center
When speaking of a Portal or a Cloud, most people think of a website with graphs or a remote repository that costs money. And it is often the case. However, SensDesk by HW group is not just a portal or a cloud; it is primarily a unified measuring and control center for HW group products. SensDesk gives a quick overview of sensor states, displays a history of measured values, and allows creating simple conditions to trigger alarm actions such as sending an e-mail or a text message or activating a remote output. Its main advantage is the unified presentation of information from many different sensors and detectors in a human-readable and a machine-readable form.
The SensDesk portal offers features for home users, small and medium-sized businesses (SMB), as well as large enterprises and corporations. For homes and small offices, it is often enough to monitor the current states of sensors and detectors, and to be able to download the past temperature or consumption values (or to receive an e-mail if a value is out of an allowed range). Larger clients put emphasis on the integration of independent monitoring with existing systems. This can be complex, and thus expensive, because different measuring devices provide data in different formats – either for legacy reasons, or due to the particularities of the measured quantities. In these cases, SensDesk provides the most value – it makes data from different sensors and devices available in a unified and serialized XML file format.
Basic SensDesk features
- A simple and concise Dashboard provides an overview of only those sensors that are interesting for the user. Multiple custom Dashboards with different contents can be defined. For example, the IT department would only watch the data that is relevant for them, and so would the power engineers.
- Independent Safe Ranges can be set for each sensor for the purposes of e-mail alerts. Support for HWg-SMS-GW3 in order to send alerts via text messages (SMS).
- An overview of devices and sensors that can be sorted by the status (Normal, alarm, invalid) or by the unit of measurement.
- Devices and sensors can be grouped according to their physical (Locations) or logical (Groups) place.
- Graphs of measured values for individual values (sorted by the measured quantities) as well as for individual sensors; data can be exported to CSV, XML, PDF, SVG, PNG or JPG
- Custom graphs combining different quantities can be created to watch for interdependencies.
- Advanced user management with a simple administration can assign individual users only the permissions they need. Individual users are grouped under a Team.
- Permission groups to assign users the rights to individual devices. While the User management restricts what the user can do, the Permission group restricts the resources that the user works with.
- Export of current values to XML is available for all values belonging to a team as well as for individual dashboards and graphs, and provides for an easy integration with ERP systems.
- SensDesk can be used either on the free platform operated by HW group, or on the customer’s premises using a virtual server.
There is no need to list the common features of all portals, such as the ability to display the readings from individual sensors and detectors and plot their history in a graph.
Supported HWg devices
User can connect following HWg monitoring and control devices into SensDesk IoT portal:
- Poseidon2: Remote monitoring of sensors and detectors, and control of relay outputs over Ethernet.
- Damocles2: Controlling digital inputs and outputs (relays) over Ethernet.
- HWg-Ares: Remote monitoring of sensors and detectors, and control of relay outputs over GSM or LTE.
- STE2: Remote monitoring of sensors and detectors over WLAN or LAN.
- SD: Remote monitoring of sensors and detectors, and control of relay outputs over WLAN or LAN.
- HWg-PWR: Remote monitoring a metering of water, electricity, gas or heat consumption.
What SensDesk versions are there?
- Free version: Devices max. 3 and number of sensors is unlimited
- SensDesk PRO: Portal will be installed on customer’s own server. Up to 100 devices and number of sensors is unlimited. Customer can raise the limit of devices by ordering SensDesk PRO Upgrade.
Update on 10.8.2020: SensDesk now supports SNMP!
SNMP was originally developed for monitoring computer networks and networked technology. All Ethernet devices from HW group support SNMP and the SensDesk portal now supports it, too.
Thanks to recent updates, SNMP can now be used to read values from GSM, LTE or Narrowband (NB-IoT) devices. All values are provided with a unified MIB; there is no need to implement different MIBs for different device types.